necklaces

necklaces
These are the style of jewelry I make: spiritual, contemplative.

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Being in the Moment

Yesterday after work, I took my own advice...I set out to purposefully notice things about my surroundings.  As soon as I get home, I take Jackson ( our canine companion) out for a walk, to his great joy.  If you've ever walked a dog, you know that they pull and investigate, sniff everything, and pee all along the way. So I investigated, too.  (NO, I didn't pee along the way!) 

What I noticed:  The black spots and deeply-cut divisions of leaves on yellowing wild plants along the ditch... the 7-foot-tall, feathery spires of our striped zebra grass...and the sudden flurry of two beautiful yellow-and-black finches that were startled out of their hiding places by our approach. 

The biggest surprise on the walk, was the snakeskin I found on the potting bench.  Of course, I jumped and let out a squeak.  I made myself look closely.  The skin was about 3 feet long, translucent gray with the delicate scale pattern and underbelly ridges plainly visible.  The snake had wound itself around some buckets and tools, and around a couple of metal sunflower shapes I was saving for a project...and rubbed its skin off, and was gone. 

Now...I wonder where that snake is.  It'd better not have sneaked into the downstairs when the workshop garage door was open!!\

 My husband was late for supper, which I used as a stolen moment to work at the dining room table on some windchimes for my upcoming show.  It sure was hard for me to clip parts together and wait overnight for the glue to dry.  ( I'm including some beadwork in the project, and I like to secure the strands with knots and a dab of jewel-glue.)  My enthusiasm and excitement in the creative processes makes me impatient sometimes.

Blessings!--Miss Elainie

1 comment: